Portuguese Kale Soup (Caldo Verde)
A simply yet hearty soup that is great for those cold winter days
Write a review
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 chourico, linguiça,or Spanish chorizo, sliced into 1/4-inch coins
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 large bunch of kale, leaves cut into fine julienne
- Freshly ground black pepper, and salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chouriço slices and cook until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Using a spoon remove the sausage to a plate.
- Leave sausage fat in pot
- Dump the onion and garlic into the pot. Sauté until soft, and a pinch of salt
- Add in all the potatoes, cover everything with the water, and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat so the soup gently simmers. Cook until the potatoes are almost done, 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the caldo verde is cool enough to handle, purée it using a wand blender.
- Add the kale to the soup, bring everything back to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until kale has softened.
- Add the chourico, to the pot and boil another 5 minutes
- Season with more salt, if needed, and pepper.
- Ladle the caldo verde into bowls.
Please follow and like us: